Thursday, October 6, 2011

Today I am Thankful

Over the past week I've been overwhelmed by the amount of support I, and the team I walk with, have received on our Avon Walk for Breast Cancer adventure. We don't actually walk until May 2012, but people have already opened their hearts in so many ways.

Last week, in exchange for a $10 donation, I promised to write a poem about how awesome the donor was and post it on Facebook for everyone to see. I received two donations in excess of $10 and rave reviews of my poetry, even though I'm obviously no Robert Frost.

This week, my employer pledged to match any donation I receive in the month of October. The WHOLE month! And we're not talking about a huge corporation here ... this is a small family owned business. In addition, they want to outfit us in team t-shirts. Their continuous generousity over the years has been amazing and always encourages me to pay it forward, which I try to do whenever I can.

The match pledge created a domino effect. People have been donating steadily over the past few days, knowing their gift will be doubled. A lot of these people don't know each other or my employers, but they are still coming together, giving what the can, and helping others.

On days when I'm feeling grumpy or the evening news is one sad story after another, I will try to remember this past week and that small things can make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment