To start, I WON! WOOOOT!! I wrote 50,053 words in 29 days. I wrote something almost everyday, even if it was only a couple hundred words. During November I functioned in the real world, but I was living in my novel word. Emails were ignored, shows recorded and as soon as Thanksgiving dinner was cleaned up, I was back at the computer.
I had THE BEST group of cheerleaders a girl could ask for. Whenever I updated my word count on Facebook, I would get motivating comments and notes on my wall. When I finished the challenge, I had this convo with my hubby:
"I couldn't have done this with out all of you."
"Yes, you could."
"But you guys made it easier."
That's the truth. Toward the end, when I was afraid my story might run out of steam before I reached the 50K mark, the belief you all had in me kept me typing (and not crying). Thank you.
Here's what I learned about myself:
1) I can write an entire novel, with a beginning, middle and end. I'd never done that before.
2) I can write a rough draft without editing (or even rereading) as I go. It's crappy, but the story is out and I have something to work with now. P.S. I still haven't read any of it.
3) Deadlines are my friend.
4) I am most efficient and creative when writing at Starbucks at 8:00 p.m. on Sunday night.
5) I truly enjoy writing (duh). When the challenge was over I felt like I was leaving summer camp. Excited to get back home to my own bed, but bummed to leave my new friends.
What a ride! See you next year NaNo!
No comments:
Post a Comment