Thursday, February 2, 2012

Top Ten: Daytime Television

When I'm home sick, like I was on Monday, daytime television is as comforting to me as chicken soup. The familiarity of sitcom reruns, game shows and talk shows makes me feel cozy and often lulls me to sleep. What I find interesting though is how different the programming and advertisements are from primetime. It makes sense when you think about who's probably watching television during the day, but I still feel a little ripped off. Just because I work from 8-5 doesn't mean I wouldn't like to learn about Hover Rounds when I get home.


Top Ten: Daytime Television

10. The News
The midday break. This is a good time to have your mom heat up some chicken soup before naptime.

9. Soap Operas
Sadly, these are a dying breed. If Erica Kane can't even make it, that doesn't bode well for the remaining shows.

8. Kid Shows
Heavily scheduled in the morning and on cable networks like Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. Easy to bypass unless you have kids or every other station is off the air.

7. Commercials for Law Firms
They usually feature a female "client" who describes how alone she felt after her accident until she called XYZ Law Firm. Now she can pay her bills and spend time with her family again!

6. Commercials Paid for by Law Firms about Dangerous Medications
You know what I'm talking about ... "If you take one of these 800 drugs and have grown a second head, you may be entitled to compensation."

5. Game Shows (besides TPIR)
When I was younger I used to watch reruns of classic game shows like Pyramid and Press Your Luck. Nowadays, reboots like Let's Make a Deal are the soup du jour.

4. Sitcom Reruns
My favorite part of daytime television. When I'm sick, I want to have something on that is uplifting or funny and that I don't have to think about too much. Old episodes of Golden Girls, Fraiser, Friends and Full House are the way to go for me.

3. Talk Shows
Pick any hour between 9 and 5 and I'm sure there's a talk show on. Seriously! They'll give anyone a show!

2. Commercials for Medical Products
Example: On Monday, during a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond (woohoo!) I saw a commercial for catheter supply home delivery and one for portable oxygen. And it's only a half hour show.

1. The Price Is Right
The be-all-end-all of daytime television. "Help control the pet population. Get your pets spayed or neutered."

No comments:

Post a Comment