Anywho, during a convo with Cory, my friend and co-worker, I thought, "I'll do Top Ten Boy Bands! Score!" because I love me some boy bands. Apparently, I'm picky though because I couldn't come up with ten. I remember thinking "Too bad the Spice Girls aren't a boy band." It was then I had my "duh" moment. I could do BOTH!! It is my blog afterall.
So without further adieu, Top Ten: Boy or Girl Bands
10. Hanson
A one-hit wonder, but boy was it catchy! "MMMBop".9. 98 Degrees
They had several hits, but my favorite is probably "The Hardest Thing". So emo! *Sigh*. Meanwhile, check out those classic boy band moves: pointing at the camera, falling to their knees, expressions racked with emotional pain! 8. Backstreet Boys
Surprised they're so low on the list? My heart belongs to another band, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the Boys. My fave has to be "Larger Than Life". Sorry for the lack of cool video. Just picture sharp dance moves and maybe some cuts to an audience going nuts. 7. TLC
The title of one of TLC's albums "CrazySexyCool", is how I think of them. The have fun, empowering and danceable songs (not that I dance to them, but I would if I had any rhythm). My favorite is a departure from their norm: "Unpretty". Beautiful song and great message. 6. Boyz II Men
I'm a sucker for boys who harmonize and Boyz II Men do just that. Often a cappella, which is even better. I can't even choose which song is my favorite, so I'll go with their first single "Motownphilly".5. Dixie Chicks
So much controversy! Oy! Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, they have some really awesome songs women can relate to like "Wide Open Spaces". And who hasn't wept or at least teared up when "a pretty little girl with a bow in her hair" found out her "Travelin' Solider" died in Vietnam. The song that really gets the crowd riled up at their concerts though is the epic "Goodbye Earl". Sucks to be you, Earl.4. New Kids on the Block/NKOTB
My original boy band crush and just about everyone else's, too. When my friend Carina, who is from Peru, heard I included them on the list she immediately started telling me about the New Kids Trapper Keeper she had in school. In Peru! These dudes were a global force. I definitely preferred the original recipe, but when NKOTB emerged a few years ago, I squealed along with every other twenty and thirty-something female around the world. New Kids still has "The Right Stuff". 3. Destiny's Child
Beyonce, Kelly, Michelle! Talented singers and dancers with great fashion sense. Again, awesome harmonies plus all their singles felt unique and original. Destiny's Child taught us to be strong women and to keep those boys in check. One of my faves is "Survivor".2. Spice Girls
When I was telling people this was going to be my next Top Ten list several said "You're going to include the Spice Girls, right?" OF COURSE!!! GIRL POWER!!! I mean, seriously, it's been almost 15 years since "Wannabe" dropped in the U.S. If I were to walk up to someone about my age and sing "Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want," about half would look at me like I was nuts, but the other half I'm betting would chime in with, "So, tell me what you want, what you really, really want." Being a girl was way more fun after they came to town.
1. *NSYNC
Back in the day you were either Team *NSYNC or Team Backstreet. Obviously I was and still am the former. They're just better! Cuter! Better Singers! They had Justin Timberlake, for goodness sake. Okay, maybe JT was sporting a blonde 'fro for a bit, but we've all had questionable hairdos. Everyone sing along ... you know the words ... "Bye Bye Bye".
No comments:
Post a Comment